Fall 2018 Scholarship Program
Through advocacy, education and professional development, the National Capital Area Chapter of the Health Information Management & Systems Society promotes the development and improvement of healthcare information management as an essential contribution to quality patient care. The HIMSS NCA scholarship is awarded annually to students studying in the health management, health information or information systems management field. Scholarship awards are based on academic achievement and participation in health information or information systems management industry. The scholarship program makes three awards of a minimum of $2000 each to one student in three separate degree programs.
Degree Program Scholarships:
- Graduate Program Scholarship
- Undergraduate Program Scholarship
- Associate Program Scholarship
Purpose: The HIMSS NCA Scholarship program was established to provide financial assistance and recognition to students who are pursuing health information or systems management degrees, and are interested in helping to shape the future of the profession.
Objective: The program awards three scholarships – one for each of category (graduate, undergraduate, and associate's level).
- Active enrollment in a DC-metro area accredited university fulfilling the requirements for a health information or systems management related degree
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better
- Member of local HIMSS Chapter
- Applicant must be willing to participate as a volunteer on at least one HIMSS-NCA committee for one (1) year. Information on the HIMSS NCA volunteer programs can be found at: http://nca.himsschapter.org/GetInvolved
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Meets or exceeds grade point of 3.0
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of essay
- Professional achievements
- Membership/Participation in the HIMSS NCA chapter
Application Requirements include:
- Submission of the HIMSS NCA Chapter Scholarship Application Form
- Recent, official college transcripts, through the Spring semester 2018
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a current school official. These are very important to help us evaluate applicants.
- A short essay of no more than 500 words (2 pages) that addresses:
- Why you have chosen this field? (1/2 page)
- Why IM/IT is important to healthcare today? (1/2 page)
- A discussion of a major issue facing the healthcare community today and how IM/IT can address the issue. (1 page)
- Willing to participate as a volunteer on at least one HIMSS NCA committee for one (1) year
Applications must be received no later than October 26, 2018 to be considered for this year’s award. If you have further questions, please contact Maria Gaboury at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed applications must be received no later than October 26, 2018.
Award recipients will be selected and notified in early November and will receive their award at our November 15, 2018 meeting held at the Key Bridge Marriott, in Rosslyn, VA.