Fall 2017 Scholarship Program
Through advocacy, education and professional development, the National Capital Area Chapter of the Health Information Management & Systems Society promotes the development and improvement of healthcare information management as an essential contribution to quality patient care. The HIMSS NCA scholarship is awarded annually to students studying in the health management, health information or information systems management field. Scholarship awards are based on academic achievement and participation in health information or information systems management industry. The scholarship program makes three awards of a minimum of $2000 each to one student in three separate degree programs.
Degree Program Scholarships:
- Graduate Program Scholarship
- Undergraduate Program Scholarship
- Associate Program Scholarship
Purpose: The HIMSS NCA Scholarship program was established to provide financial assistance and recognition to students who are pursuing health information or systems management degrees, and are interested in helping to shape the future of the profession.
Objective: The program awards three scholarships – one for each of category (graduate, undergraduate, and associate's level).
- Active enrollment in a DC-metro area accredited university fulfilling the requirements for a health information or systems management related degree
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better
- Active Student membership with HIMSS. Member of local HIMSS-NCA Chapter
- Applicant must be willing to participate as a volunteer on at least one HIMSS-NCA committee for one (1) year. Information on the HIMSS NCA volunteer programs can be found at: http://nca.himsschapter.org/GetInvolved
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Meets or exceeds grade point of 3.0
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of essay
- Professional achievements
- Membership/Participation in the HIMSS NCA chapter
Application Requirements include:
- Submission of the HIMSS NCA Chapter Scholarship Application Form
- Recent, official college transcripts, through the Spring semester 2017
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a current school official - recommendations are heavily relied upon during the evaluation process
- A short essay of no more than 500 words (2 pages) that addresses:
- Why you have chosen this field? (1/2 page)
- Why IM/IT is important to healthcare today? (1/2 page)
- A discussion of a major issue facing the healthcare community today and how IM/IT can address the issue. (1 page)
Applications are available on the HIMSS-NCA web site at: http://nca.himsschapter.org/
Send your completed application to Maria Gaboury (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please email her for mailing address information.
Award recipients will be selected and notified in early November (2017) and will receive their award at our November 16, 2017 meeting held at the Key Bridge Marriott, in Rosslyn, VA.
Sponsored and supported by: